Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Sense of Humor Required

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sense of Humor Required


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    I probably should have mentioned, John Gollehon (Gollehon Speakers) built a pro version of that horn.

    He used a ceramic magnet instead of the alnico that Magna Box (Heppner actually) used, and made the thing serviceable..it didn't handle a whole lot of power but was adequate for things like stage monitors..in clubs at least. He sold out in the 80's..and writes books about playing blackjack now.

    Can't blame him, if I could play blackjack and write books I would too.

    He was a good host, made a few trips up to Grand Rapids to meet with him.

    There are tons of Chinese clones of the mods he made. They all trace their lineage back to the original Jensen.

    This is Pyle's version...Pyle was an outgrowth of Utah, but now it's pretty much an marketer only, and crap at that. Pyle (the person) was an engineer at Utah who bought the production line when Utah went belly up...but he went by the wayside a long time ago and it's mostly import stuff now...

    High Frequency Phenolic Horn Tweeter HT391 - eBay (item 350281122339 end time Dec-18-09 16:01:26 PST)

    But I just wanted to show the design, the Pyle has a replacement fram just like the Gollehon did.

    I'd trust the Gollehon for semi pro use, not sure about the Pyle, I don't want it to look like I am endorsing the Pyle, I have never evaluated one. Didn't seem worth the time. I note they rate theirs from 3khz up and Gollehon rated his from 2k. Makes me suspect the power handling of the Pyle.


    I'd love to run across a bunch of the little Gollehons though. A decent 12" and one of those made a nice but cheap stage monitor...we sold hundreds of the monitors Gollehon made like that.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #22
    Inactive Member scharron's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2008
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Hi Guys,
    had a buddy who played drums in one of our first bands. his folks had a great big Magnavox Stereo, had to have been six of seven feet long and it was loud as heck! and as I recall it sounded pretty good. I remember listening to Black Sabbath and Grand Funk on that thing at ridiculous volumes when his parents weren't home. also had a father in law who recognized good sound when he heard it and he also had a magnavox stereo and bought a pair of large advents and had the store he bought them from come out and unhook the speakers in the console stereo and hook up the Advents from the console electronics. It too sounded real good but he listened to lots of classical and a fair amount of opera and I wasn't gettin classical at the time, and I still can't handle opera!
    The consoles sounded great but I think the bigest downfall was the lack of separation, and separates like receivers, turntables et all were quickly taking over the market. Thank goodness, because I have helped carry one of those big consoles and it ain't even close to being fun. My parents had one of the first Magnavox portable stereos in our neighborhood and actually used it at our neighborhood pool for pool parties. my dad had that thing rewired so he could hook up his new McIntosh 240 amp to it. not sure how he could have been satisfied with those speakers,but it sound pretty good.
    regards.
    scott in nc

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sense of Humor Required


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    For anyone interested...

    A pair of the original Jensens...

    2 VINTAGE JENSEN RP-109B HORN TWEETERS - eBay (item 320450132689 end time Nov-23-09 18:52:32 PST)

    220 is Jensen's EIA code.

    Note the plastic cover over the alnico, as I noted Heppners mostly have foam covers.

    Last Heppners were ceramic and replaceable frams, a design absorbed into Cerwin Vega when they bought Heppner. The Gollehon I mentioned above was similar to the ceramic but a plastic horn instead of aluminum like the Heppners.

    BTW for giggles, the Japanese apparently buy the old Jensens too...

    http://translate.google.com/translat...ial%26hs%3DNUi
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Those look exactly like mine. Same part number.
    Bottom line says: 69.51

    Don't see any EIA code. Maybe they are Jensen.

    Anybody want them?

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sense of Humor Required


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    In the case of the eBay horns the number is 220621

    220 = Jensen

    6 = 1966

    21 = 21st week

    So early May 1966

    They sound decent, but power handling is way low....in real life if an Altec HF driver is rated 20, these are maybe 3 watts. Since they were probably 6 db more efficient than the woof they might be usable at 12-15 watts a channel.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #26
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Positively no affiliation with this item, seller, or auction.

    Are these from a Magnavox console?

    ALTEC LANSING BOLERO 88A SPEAKER PAIR - eBay (item 320451889405 end time Dec-20-09 18:57:35 PST)
    this is convenient -

    ALTEC LANSING 12" SPEAKER CABINET PAIR - eBay (item 320450136441 end time Dec-16-09 19:02:45 PST)

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Anybody want them?
    Hah, I have a similar pair as well, stuffed in with a $20 lot of various units posted on CL.
    (See single post in the horns and drivers section of the classifieds:
    The Altec User's Board Classifieds - Hostboard Classifieds & Auctions )

    If anyone wants either of the $20 lots I have posted, free of charge, lmk.

    IIRC they have plastic caps on them, would appear to be Jensen from the stamps:
    580069 1
    RP 109.C7486 3
    220330

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    LOL! So good you can't give them away!

    BTW, did you ever sell the Emilar horns? If I were close by, I'd pick them up, just out of curiosity. They're just so groovy looking.

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    LOL! So good you can't give them away!
    That's right, call now! ("...because we can't do this all day y'know")

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    BTW, did you ever sell the Emilar horns? If I were close by, I'd pick them up, just out of curiosity. They're just so groovy looking.
    RE the emilars, you are in luck, they're still here!

    They do look terribly groovy in fact, esp sitting naked on top of an LF box.
    I may eventually get around to using them with the GPA's and 416's should they not sell. Could probably respray them easilly (by comparison). What I need to do is get off my bum and find a cabinetmaker. I envision multipurpose ~10cuft boxes w/multiple removable baffles so that I can swap 15/16" drivers in/out.

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sense of Humor Required

    Sounds like a good plan!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.